The Reserve Bank of India has lowered the repo rate (rate at which the central bank lends money to other commercial banks) by 100 basis point from 7.5 per cent to 6.5 per cent.Following this, ICICI Bank announced a reduction in its home loan rate from 13 per cent to 11.5 per cent for loans up to Rs 20 lakh. This new rate is applicable only for new customers. Other banks are likely to follow suit.
Existing customers: Bargain!"If your bank offers home loan at more than 11 per cent, look towards other banks who offer lower rate of interest," says home loan expert Harsh Roongta.
While negotiating for lower interest rates from the present bank or the new bank, it will work in your favour to have the following brownie points:
1. A spotless record of repayment since your loan commencement.
2. Your income has either remained stable or has increased.
3. You have not acquired any fresh liability.
Penalties and fees
It's worth it to pay up the prepayment penalties and loan processing charges if the new loan will come at less than 11 per cent, say experts.
Old home loan: Rs 20 lakh
Floating rate interest: 13 per cent
Tenure: 20 years
EMI would have been Rs 23,726 per month.
Now, assume that you have paid EMI for 2 years.
Outstanding loan amount: Rs 19.47 lakh
Interest rate: 11 per cent
Tenure: 18 years
EMI: would be Rs 21,259
Total switching cost (including prepayment penalty and processing fee for the new loan) would be Rs 48,683.
Read: Don't let higher EMIs ruin your budget
Read: Should I prepay my home loan?
Disclaimer: While efforts have been made to ensure the accuracy of the information provided in the content, the web site or the author shall not be held responsible for any loss caused to any person whatsoever who accesses or uses or is supplied with the content (consisting of articles and information).
Subscribe for free to receive hot Pune real estate news, views and reviews:1) Ravi Karandeekar's Pune Real Estate Market News Blog
2) Ravi Karandeekar's Pune Real Estate Investment Blog
3) Ravi Karandeekar's Pune Real Estate Advertising and Marketing Blog
4) Ravi Karandeekar's Pune Real Estate Blog
5) Please, feel free to call me on my mobile +91 98600 44110! I enjoy talking, sharing my views and giving advice about buying property in Pune real estate market (so i do not charge anything for the first 8 minutes!)
6) Please, join me on Friendfeed, to share news articles, family photos, interesting links and videos and let us discover and discuss information!
Visit Ravi Karandeekar's Pune Real Estate Blog Group and join for free to receive updates of all blogs!
real estate Indian real estate Pune real estate Pune news Pune news Pune real estate news Pune real estate market Pune real estate market news blog Pune real estate blog Pune property blog Pune realty Pune real estate investment Pune real estate marketing upcoming and ongoing real estate projects in Pune current property rates in Pune latest real estate prices Ravi Karandeekar 91 98600 44110 Friendfeed Ravi Karandeekar\'s Pune Real Estate Blog Group Google Groups